Carnivals

Boxing in the 1946 Carnival

Boxing featured in the 1946 Carnival. A. Gorrell, C. Wade, W. Glover, W. Coles, M. Vanstone

The first Bradworthy Carnival took place in November 1937 and raised £81.

After the 1939-45 War, five more carnivals were held between 1945 and 1952.

Carnival Queen in 1945

Winnie Colliver was Carnival Queen in 1945.

Just after the War ended the November Carnival was revived, and £100 was raised for the Welcome Home Fund.

Over 1,000 people attended the 1946 Carnival, and the event in 1947 was organised by the Amateur Football Club.

Carnival Royalty in 1946

Carnival Royalty in 1946. Mary Cory, Norman Bond, Maureen Yeo, Nancy Kerslake.

We can talk of little else but the carnival at Bradworthy now. It was easily the greatest event the younger generations - or, perhaps the older folk too for that matter - has ever seen here. The efficient organising committee and the energetic officials deserve heartiest thanks, as also does the whole of our parishioners who with hardly an exception rendered their full and whole-hearted support. Also to the visitors, both those who brought tableaux and those who helped to swell the crowds of spectators, we are very grateful indeed. There must have been well over a thousand present.

The entries in the various classes were remarkable both for their number and variety. Originality was much in evidence, especially in the tableaux Angler's Dream, Old King Cole and the Miniature Wedding. The Citadel was a fine tableau with an historical flavour, in which every detail was consistent with the period it represented. A motor car of 1902 and an old penny-farthing bicycle recalled memories of the past, whilst Bradíry Vair was a realistic creation of a scene which would be familiar on our Square on Fair Day fifty years ago.

There was plenty of music, adding zest to the proceedings. Bradworthy, Bude and Holsworthy bands were in attendance, and we had our Darkie Band consisting of local minstrels. The barrel organ, which in the charge of Miss C.E. Ashton and party, did such excellent financial work on Wednesday and Thursday morning, was also in the procession. Bradworthy's Railway, Captain Lockyer's ingenious model was exhibited on the Square.

At the concert a fine variety programme was given by friends from Bude and Holsworthy neighbourhoods, and many local artists. Mrs. Lockyer (president of the Carnival Committee) presided. Refreshments were served in the hotel room, Mrs Spread being in charge of the arrangements. A whist drive took place, Mr. W.J. Cory being the M.C. A dance followed, the M.C.s being Messrs. J. Cory, R.L. Ashton, and Dr. Norman Betts. Music was supplied by Arthur Codd's Melody Makers from Holsworthy. The dance, which continued into the small hours brought to a close Bradworthy's first Carnival. (November 1937)

Carnival Queen with attendants in 1952

Bradworthy Carnival Queen with attendants in 1952.

Back row: L. Edwards, A.F. Balsdon, B. Colliver, C. Jenkins, Mr. Badman.

Front row: J. Roberts, A. Balsdon, E. Barkwell.

The next Carnival took place in 1951 when there was a torchlight procession it was very wet.

This was followed, in 1952, by an event that took place in the worst possible weather - high winds and rain.


Jack Bromell and George Plummer

Jack Bromell and George Plummer at the 1947 Carnival.

There was a good crowd and proceeds went to the WI, the British Legion, and the Football Club.

Carnival Success at Bradworthy - Visiting Queens In The Procession
All roads led to Bradworthy on Thursday of last week, when over 1,000 people, drawn from a wide area, were out for the carnival.

The spacious square lent itself admirably to the varied display of tableaux and all the bright colour and glamour that is synonymous with carnival time. A heavy downpour of rain throughout the day had not augured well, but a benevolent moon cleared the weather in time for the procession.

The Queen (Miss Maureen Yeo) in full regalia and enthroned in a charming setting was loudly cheered. She was accompanied by her attendants, Miss Mary Cory and Miss Nancy Kerslake, and little page boy, Master Norman Bond. Crowned by Mrs. N. Bowring Betts, who was introduced by Mr. W.L. Wickett, Miss Yeo was presented with a bouquet by last year's Queen (Miss Winnie Colliver).

The torchlight procession was seen to the best advantage as it took a route down through the lower village, along St. Peter's Well Lane, returning to the Square again by way of Holsworthy road. It was headed by Holsworthy Town Band.

After the carnival, concerts were given in the Church Hall by Billy Wheeler and his Merrymakers from Exeter.

A fancy dress dance was held in the Assembly Hall, music being provided by Jack Bromell's radiogram. Judges for fancy-dress were Rev. and Mrs E.W. Robotham, of Putford; and prize-winners were: 1, Miss M. Cleave (Flower Girl): 2, Miss J. Winter (Queen of Hearts): 3, Mr. M. Carter (old fashioned Lady 1846)- 4, Mr. L Shadrick (Huntsman).

All prizes were presented by the Queen. Prize-winners in the various competitions were Messrs. J. Turner, Heywood, J. Grills, Miss H. Prance, Miss Jeffery, Miss Shobrooke and Miss M. Cooke.

Mrs. W.L. Wickett (wife of the president of Bradworthy United A.F.C.) welcomed the Queens and Judges at tea. Refreshments were also convened by Mrs. E.J. Wade and Mrs. C.H. Cory.

Organisers of the carnival were the Entertainments Committee of the Bradworthy and District United Association Football Club, with Mr. J.M. Bromell as chairman and Messrs. F.W. Slee and L. Edwards hon. secretary and hon. treasurer respectively. Announcer was Mr. G. Plummer, and head marshal (mounted) was Mr W.T. Bromell. Great credit is due to these, as well as to the many others whose names are too numerous to mention, who gave so generously of their time and skill in making the necessary preparations, or gave prizes and cash.

Proceeds were for the Memorial Hall and Bradworthy and District United Amateur Football Club. (December 1946)

Spectators in the early 1990's

Spectators in the early 1990's

Tom Cann

Tom Cann taking part in the 1991 Carnival.

The Carnival was revived in 1977, and has been an annual summer fixture ever since.



[ Back to top ]